Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ED ED is offline

Default OT Diesel engines

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 01:58:53 GMT, "Ivan Vegvary"
wrote:

Sorry about the OT, but, I do contribute once in a while and this is such a
knowledgeable group!

Many decades ago (1950's) when people talked about diesel engines (lot of
this talk was from 'old country' poor Europeans), they would always tout the
fact that they (the engines) would run on anything. The list, if I remember
correctly included diesel, gas, lighter fluid, heating oil, liquefied lard,
charcoal lighter, veggie oil etc., etc., etc.

If any of the above is true, why don't people, today, put gasoline into
their diesel engines, considering the higher cost of diesel fuel?

Just want to know what would happened if you did use gasoline.
BTW, my only diesel is my small Kubota tractor.

Thanks for replies.

Ivan Vegvary

Back in the 80's I read an article about
the public bus fleet in Brazil.
MBdiesel buses modified to run on alcohol.
The mods were very minor, pump timing ect.

Small amounts of crankcase oil was routed to the injector
pump and mixed with the alcohol to increase it's lubertisity.

The project report was at the end of a long term experimental phase,
most busses had several hundred K miles on them with no serious
problems. Combustion water in the crank was the only big issue IIRC,
and was resolved via oil additives or something.

Brazil has no petrolium resources and relied on sugar cane
to produce ethenol. I believe they were/are 100%
independent from oil imports..

We should be doing more in this country--not with corn
but with sugar beets....and oil seeds..

But to directly answer your question gas will ruin your
diesel as noted in the above replies.
.... ED