Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default OT Diesel engines

On Apr 11, 10:50*pm, Ignoramus9437
wrote:

There are multifuel engines, such as what are installed on some
military trucks, made by Continental, that would run on just about
anything -- but you need to do some mechanic work to switch over. It
is not as simple as pouring a new tank of whatever is your latest
greasy find.

I drove one of these in 1972-3 in Germany:
http://www.bunkerofdoom.com/mil/m109spin_large.gif

There was rumored to be some procedure for switching between gas and
diesel which AFAIK no one ever followed. We filled them with diesel at
the Kaserne and regular gas on the road.

The exhaust was slightly louder and rougher on gas but performance was
the same. They started about as well on either fuel in cold weather,
even on frigid mountaintop radio relay sites.

I think the tax exemption deal we had with the German government
didn't include diesel. 3/4 of the price of fuel was tax, according to
large signs on the pumps. Untaxed regular cost us $0.18/Gal.

I did all the routine maintenance on it but never had to touch the
engine. Changing one of those split-rim tires is quite a project!

Maybe you can find some technical information on the Multifuel engines
for the M35 or M44 series trucks. The standard name for them is "Deuce-
and-a-half", which refers to their 2.5 ton off-road load rating. I
believe the "09" in a circle is the empty weight for small bridges.

Jim Wilkins