Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Water Softener - building regs?

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
A piece of junk post through the door claims that new building
regulations require fitting of water softeners where water
hardness exceeds 200ppm (which looks to be over half of England
on the map included). That was a new one on me...

I was deeply suspicious. So I found this:

"The UKWTA has demonstrated how lime-scale build-up has a major impact
on reducing the efficiency of domestic water heating appliances – so
much so that the government changed the UK Building Regulations (the
Domestic Heating Compliance Guide - published May 2006) to require
treatment of the feed water to water heaters in hard water areas to
inhibit lime-scale formation."
http://www.ukwta.org/watersofteners.php

Obviously not a wholly disinterested source. So I sought the mentioned
document.

When you look at the "Domestic Heating Compliance Guide" [1], the *only*
mention of water softening (so far as I could find) was in Table 24 (on
page 52/PDF page 53). This applies specifically community heating and
the need for some means of ensuring the life of the system by avoiding
corrosion. One of the options mentioned is water softening.

[1] Found at
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_PTL_DOMHEAT.pdf
--
Rod