Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Selenium rectifier question

James Sweet wrote:

Yes, I only like to fix a problem once. Varo used to make some nice
3 KV PIV rectifiers that looked like the larger microwave oven diodes.
They were great for upgrading old broadcast and high power commercial
two wy radio systems. Using four of them and moving the meters allowed
me to reduce two full six foot racks into a single four foot outdoor
rack. It was bolted to the base of the tower and was still in use when
the owner died, years later. I did all the HV wiring with 25 KV second
anode wire.

Jeez, how big were the seleniums? The biggest ones I've seen were only a
couple inches square.

That determines the current. The number of plates determines the
voltage.

The Varo rectifers were epoxy cast stacked silicon that looked like
microwave oven rectifiers, but at higher current. They looked like the
NTE 541: http://www.nteinc.com/specs/500to599/pdf/nte541.pdf

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Use any search engine other than Google till they stop polluting USENET
with porn and junk commercial SPAM