Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveB[_6_] SteveB[_6_] is offline

Default OT Diesel engines

Steve, thanks for the insult.

I do understand the difference between a diesel cycle and a spark ignited
engine. While my thermodynamics classes were decades ago we did study the
matter.

I am sure that gasoline would also self-ignite quite well during a diesel
cycle. Maybe the compression ratio would have to be reduced thereby also
reducing stress on the engine parts.

Try me with your longer answer and see if I can comprehend.

Ivan Vegvary

What you are questioning involves two different petroleum distillate
products with entirely different properties. These properties are differing
densities, differing lower flammability levels, differing lower explosive
levels, different specific densities, and countless differences in
lubricating properties. The engines designed to burn these products are
designed metallurgically and mechanically to take advantage of the
properties of each fuel and to be able to handle their consumption through a
controlled explosion. While it is true that diesel engines can be started
with gasoline in some engines specifically designed to do so, the extra
design components are not present in the common engines of either variety.

One engine uses simple compression pressure to ignite the fuel (diesel) and
an impulse spray (or two sprays in some newer models) at the precise moment,
while the other one utilizes a spark at a precise moment that is calibrated
by the timing gears and connector, be they a chain, or common gears. The
fuel delivery systems vary considerably, even in the gasoline engines, with
common aspiration by suction through a carburetor to computer controlled
fuel injection being the common types. Carburetors may be either updraft or
downdraft. And then, the fuel mixtures may be given an additional boost in
pressure by a turbocharger powered by exhaust gases or a supercharger