Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default OT Diesel engines

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
news:U9VLj.47$DD2.38@trndny04...

"SteveB" wrote in message

Short answer is that it wouldn't work, and it would ruin the engine. If
you don't understand the difference between diesels and gas engines, you
wouldn't understand the long answer.

Steve

Steve, thanks for the insult.

I do understand the difference between a diesel cycle and a spark ignited
engine. While my thermodynamics classes were decades ago we did study the
matter.

I am sure that gasoline would also self-ignite quite well during a diesel
cycle. Maybe the compression ratio would have to be reduced thereby also
reducing stress on the engine parts.

Try me with your longer answer and see if I can comprehend.

Ivan Vegvary

Let me try a shorter one, because I'm sure you'll see the implications. The
cetane rating of gasoline is too low. It won't run well, if at all, in a
diesel engine. Contrary to some of the remarks here, it won't even ignite in
a diesel at low temperatures. That's what octane is all about: the function
of octane is to reduce the fuel's tendency to ignite from the heat of
pressurization. Diesel fuel has a very low octane rating. It ignites much
more easily from the heat of compression.

Also, as someone else pointed out, gasoline has no lubricating properties
and the higher mechanical stresses of a diesel require some lubrication from
the fuel to get those famous long cylinder lives.

Don't take it from me. Here's an engineer on the subject, and he really
seems to know what he's talking about:

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/m...and_diesel.htm

--
Ed Huntress