Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller Gerald Miller is offline

Default OT Diesel engines

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 02:31:16 GMT, "Ivan Vegvary"
wrote:

"SteveB" wrote in message

Short answer is that it wouldn't work, and it would ruin the engine. If
you don't understand the difference between diesels and gas engines, you
wouldn't understand the long answer.

Steve

Steve, thanks for the insult.

I do understand the difference between a diesel cycle and a spark ignited
engine. While my thermodynamics classes were decades ago we did study the
matter.

I am sure that gasoline would also self-ignite quite well during a diesel
cycle. Maybe the compression ratio would have to be reduced thereby also
reducing stress on the engine parts.

Try me with your longer answer and see if I can comprehend.

Ivan Vegvary

A lot of the older International bulldozers were started as gasoline
engines and switched over to diesel once they warmed up, right down to
the spark plugs.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada