Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Al Patrick Al Patrick is offline

Default OT Diesel engines

Ivan Vegvary wrote:

If any of the above is true, why don't people, today, put gasoline into
their diesel engines, considering the higher cost of diesel fuel?

I own a diesel F-250 and wouldn't dare do that. I previously, years
ago, owned a Mercedes 300-D and the manual actually stated that - during
cold weather - (I think it was so qualified) one could mix UP TO 30%
gasoline with the diesel fuel. I suspect this was to help prevent the
diesel fuel from congealing.

I have heard stories, unverified, that a diesel will "run away" on
gasoline and over rev the engine, possibly disassembling itself,
internally if not externally. A diesel operates at much higher
pressures than a gasoline engine. The gasoline is far more explosive
than diesel fuel. The diesel uses no spark plug to ignite the fuel.
Instead it uses pressure to explode the fuel.

A web search of diesel engine might give much more detail and better
advice. I'm also sure others will explain this much better. Just DON'T
TRY IT, unless you can afford to replace the engine! :-)