Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Peter Dettmann Peter Dettmann is offline

Default Selenium rectifier question

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 14:19:39 -0700 (PDT), EricM
wrote:

I have replaced two old Federal/ITT selenium rectifiers in an
amplifier power supply with new silicon diodes; the original part
numbers are 103H4AX1 and 104B1AX1. I can't find any reference to
either part on the web - anywhere - ITT can't even provide
information. Since one of the legs of the circuit supplies the plate
voltage (600V) I used 600V 10A diodes (NTE5815HC) to be safe. Problem
is, there is a time-delay relay that closes to engage the 600V
circuit, and without it attached to the amp; all tube supplies,
biasing voltage, etc. are normal. If hooked up, once the relay closes
- the main power fuse blows. I'm guessing I need a dropping resistor,
but it would be nice to have the original data on the selenium parts
to be able to figure out the value. The 600V and the -38V biasing
voltage are derived from the same part of the power transformer. The
-38 side works, but the 600V side reads upwards of 927 volts without a
load. Using a Variac, the plate voltages were above 600V at about 70
percent. Is there a way to find the original specs on these selenium
parts? Any leads would be greatly appreciated!

You obviously need much more than 600 volt diodes. It is the PIV
which is important. What is the open circuit transformer output AC
voltage, and what is the circuit configuration used. ? You can
thencalculate the needed rating of the diodes and then add a good
safety factor.

Peter