Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Any views on Ryobi 18v impact driver?

On 2008-04-11 08:46:54 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Andy Hall wrote:
SNIP

This is why the lifetime cost and profile of use should be considered
and not just the price on the ticket.

I've had this discussion with many so called sales directors in the past.
The sort that move from one industry to the next on the basis that no
experience or knowledge is required, just positive thought.

Yes, so have I. It fails, and ultimately fails them.

Quality, service & price are all factors in a buying decision. The 'think
positive' sales director types always claim that price is the least
important factor, wheras the guys on the street know the first question from
the punter is likely to be 'how much'.

This depends on the market, the product/service and its positioning.
Some products and services are price sensitive, others are not. Some
customers are more price sensitive and others are not.

It's why we have some products targeted to customers who are primarily
price sensitive and others for customers who consider that quality and
service are important, have a value and are willing to pay for that.

However, don't make the assumption that people who buy on price are not
also looking for good service. They may well be. The problem is that
there is not usually enough margin to pay for it, or the customer is
unwilling to pay the extra for service.

Equally, don't make the assumption that customers who are looking for
good quality and service are soft targets for price. However, they
are more likely to appreciate that there is a cost involved in
providing good service and are willing to pay for that.

High price can be justified by high quality & better value of course.

Of course.

Funny how that argument changed when I asked when my Mondeo would be
replaced by a Mercedes........ suddenly price became the most important
factor.

Ah well.

Good enough is good enough to many.

Good enough, is good enough to some. One can always strive to improve.