Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction
Dioclese Dioclese is offline

Default 40 gal just not enough: Replacing water heater for 2400 sq home. Family of 2 adults + 2 children

"SteveB" wrote in message

"Dioclese" NONE wrote in message
m...
"Thomas G. Marshall"
. com wrote in message

Ok, our 40 gal gas water heater is failing. About 10 years old, which I
hear is ok.

But every time I talk to someone about their 40 gal water heater, they
all complain that they run out of hot water (comparable size homes and
kids).

Bur our builder (and all builder's we spoke to when looking to build)
*insist* that 40 gallons is enough.

But we were always worried about running the wash or dishwasher before
showering, or two long showers would result in the 2nd losing water.
Complete with those water saving disks etc.

1. Is 80 gallons overkill? Perhaps I'm reacting viscerally.

2. Am I going to notice a large gas usage increase?

3. Are there rules in place limiting the water tank sizes?

4. Are there any particular brands to look for or stay away from?

I'm sorry for the barrage of questions.

If the users of said hot water are old enough, yet not too old to move
out of the way quickly, just bump the temp setting up higher.
Adjustment to less hot water for comfort should save some hot water for
other purposes. Extremely lengthy showers are always a concern. They may
be longer as a result, with same lack of hot water. The predominant male
is in order to fix that lack of discipline.
--
Dave

The simple solution: let the kids shower last. Mom and Dad go first and
take long long showers to use up all the hot water and let the kids learn
that waiting is the result of their taking long showers and being
inconsiderate of others. Either that, or they will take colder shorter
showers until they catch on. If they ever do.

Steve

My dad and mom had a 3 bedroom home. I grew up with 7 brothers and sisters.
We had a 40 gallon natural gas water heater for the house, and another
outside for the washer only. We all knew there was a time interval between
showers and baths for hot water. The hot water heater closet was
immediately next the the single bathroom. It stopped protesting noises when
it was ready again. And, yes, sometimes someone would have to do without
for a day, or stay up later.

Currently, I live alone. I've got a 40 gallon electric version 2 tank
model. It runs out of hot water around the time just before I fill the bath
so I end up with mediocre hot water. I love hot water. The shower always
is less warm than the bath. From the git-go to the end of short shower.
Got one of those one valve jobbers for selecting hot/cold for the shower and
bath. Haven't figured that out yet.
--
Dave