Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default A walk-along circular saw plywood ripper.

On Apr 10, 11:06*pm, BoyntonStu wrote:
On Apr 10, 10:42 pm, Puckdropper wrote:

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:65ecc$47fe8a1f
:

"BoyntonStu" wrote in message

@m73g2000hsh.googlegroups.com...

A walk-along circular saw plywood ripper. I put a 4 foot handle on a
circular saw. It was attached to a plywood plate and a right angle
edge, that positions the blade exactly 10" from a ripping guide.

I can rip plywood sitting on 2x4's on the floor by just walking along
guiding the circular saw against the guide. *Just like using a lawn
edger.

Very accurate, safe, and convenient.

Holy Cow! *Where would one even start with this comment? *I'm no safety
nazi, but even I wouldn't be doing this.

I thought about it for a bit, and I think I visually understand what the
OP was describing. *It doesn't seem unsafe, or more unsafe than using the
saw normally.

The jig the OP described was a piece of wood that his circular saw sits
on, with a handle from the wood piece up. *With the saw on the 2x4s just
above the floor, he can walk next to it controlling it from the handle.

Something like this: _/

If the saw was to hit a hard object and kick back, the saw itself would
probably be flying. *Chances are, if it hits you it'd hit your legs. *(So
wear shin guards. *Doesn't everyone keep a pair next to their tools?)
Negative marks if the OP didn't connect a switch to the handle so he can
shut the saw off there. *Another risk would be the saw hits something and
the handle jerks suddenly. *You could injure your wrist in this case.
However, when was the last time you saw a saw jump and twist like a drill
that got stuck?

Thus far, it doesn't really seem like the jig is that unsafe. *Opinions
either way?

Puckdropper

Exactly.

You start with a clear floor.

Place 4 2x4's flat on the floor..

1 on each of the long sides to support the width of the 4x8 sheet.

Place the other 2 on either side of the line to be cut.

The middle 2 support the cut boards and prevent pinching the blade
when the cut is almost complete.

Use a plate about 50% longer than the circular saw plate

Plug the circular saw into your extension handle that has its own on/
off switch.

The spring-loaded saw safety remain fully functional.

Set the depth of cut beyond the new plate less than 1-1/2" to avoid
hitting the floor.

I use a clamped on Stanley rip cutting jig.

Works like a charm!

Thanks for your comment.

What stops the 2x4's from binding?