Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Default questions about fuel and generators (incl. a legal one)

John Nagelson wrote:
On Apr 10, 9:13 am, RobertL wrote:
On Apr 10, 8:52 am, John Nagelson wrote:

Using those fuels for direct heating is another matter. For
electricity I'd use PV panels, possibly a wind turbine if I lived
somewhere extremely windy.

I used to live off grid on a boat and did heating by coal and oil and
electricity from PV. Cooking from bottled gas. You can get oil fired
boilers that do not use any electricty (Kabola for example).

I'll be using solid fuel and maybe also oil for heating.

Very interested in an oil-fired boiler that does not use electricity.
Where does the force come from to work the water pump?

Gravity feed.

Any good range type system - aga or rayburn - adapted for oil will do
space heating very very well with no need for elelctricity, though our
aga does modulate the oil flow between 'high' and 'low' with an electric
themostat.

It also solves most of your cooking needs.

If you use a large bore gravity feed to a hot water tank, that does hot
water as well.

Heating other bits of the house? Well if you have chimneys or put in
steel flues, the solid fuel wood burner stoves are fabulous if you have
access to your own wood supply.

That takes electricity out of the heating/cooking systems completely.

Leaving a lower amount needed for mostly lights, and electronics stuff.