Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal
Alasdair Alasdair is offline

Default questions about fuel and generators (incl. a legal one)

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 00:52:43 -0700 (PDT), John Nagelson
wrote:

Hello, I am considering taking a house 'off grid', and would be
grateful for help with some of the following questions:

1) how easy is it to run an generator fuelled by PARAFFIN(known in the
US as 'kerosene', i.e. '28sec', the type of oil used in most oil-
powered domestic heating systems in the UK)?

You could run a diesel engine on paraffin mixed with lubricating oil
but I would be concerned about damage to the engine.

2) how easy is it to get hold of, and run, a generator fuelled by
SOLID FUEL, e.g. coal or wood or both?

Not really practical as it would involve getting a steam engine to
drive the genny

3) how easy is it to run a generator fuelled by DIESEL? And surely if
you do, you don't have to pay petrol-station prices? Is there a legal
way to avoid paying the excise?

This is the best, if noisiest idea. Get hold of a Lister
Start-o-matic which automatically switches on when a light or power
switch is put on in the house. Contact R. A. Lister & Co of Dursley,
Gloucestershire and find out if they are still available.

4) what about running an oil-fuelled generator on cheapo COOKING OIL?
Is this practicable? Is it legal?

It is both feasable and legal but is a lot of hassle. Diesel oil for
stationary engines has no duty on it and you buy it from a distributor
in bulk. I don't know whether it has VAT or not. It is called Gas
Oil although it is ordinary diesel but dyed red.

Cheers,

john

This is quite normal but unless you use wind power or
hydro-electricity, it is likely to be more expensive than mains. From
a legal point of view, you can generate your electricity from any fuel
you like except, possibly, nuclear energy which is tightly regulated.

I have answered your specific questions above.