Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal
\(not quite so\) Fat Sam \(not quite so\) Fat Sam is offline

Default questions about fuel and generators (incl. a legal one)

Anthony R. Gold wrote:
On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 00:52:43 -0700 (PDT), John Nagelson
wrote:

Hello, I am considering taking a house 'off grid', and would be
grateful for help with some of the following questions:

1) how easy is it to run an generator fuelled by PARAFFIN(known in
the US as 'kerosene', i.e. '28sec', the type of oil used in most oil-
powered domestic heating systems in the UK)?

Not hard, just consider cost to buy and maintain, the storage of fuel
and the noise of the engine to you and to your neighbours.

2) how easy is it to get hold of, and run, a generator fuelled by
SOLID FUEL, e.g. coal or wood or both?

That sounds VERY hard, requiring a boiler and steam turbine. Leave
that to the public utilities.

3) how easy is it to run a generator fuelled by DIESEL? And surely if
you do, you don't have to pay petrol-station prices? Is there a legal
way to avoid paying the excise?

Diesel and kerosene are essentially the same but with different tax
rates.

Is that true?
Wow. I've learned something new this morning...
I wonder which important nugget of knowledge that will force out in order to
make room ;-)
Like the time I took a wine tasting course and forgot how to drive..