Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home dennis@home is offline

Default Any views on Ryobi 18v impact driver?

On 2008-04-09 23:49:35 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

newshound wrote:
"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message

"dennis@home" wrote in message
Screwfix have a kit with a Ryobi 18v (one+) combo drill and an
impact driver with two batteries, charger and bag for £100.
Seems good value but are the tools Ok?

Go for it! The Ryobi is excellent. Well made as does what they
say. The ONE+ batteries are top quality and have Panasonic cells.

I'd agree with that. I've given a 14.4 ryobi drill plus angle drill
with two batteries and a good fast charger a fair old hammering over
the past few years, although I did just replace one set of cells. I
also have a mains standard impact drill which has been fine, also a
small petrol strimmer. Not De Walt, but I'd rate them for the
reasonably serious DIYer who can't claim tax relief.

Nail, hit, head there matey.

More like hit thumb with hammer.

I can justify spending a little extra for a
tool I use every day because Golden Brown is paying for some of it, DIY
people can't.

That isn't correct. There are many more factors involved than a
simple one of every day use or not and tax relief or not. The
difference in actual and opportunity cost between mid market products such
as Ryobi and good quality such as Makita, Bosch, DeWalt, Metabo is eaten
up by additional visits to the store to exchange/replace broken cheap
tools and in the extra capital purchase costs of the cheaper tools over
time.

This is why the lifetime cost and profile of use should be considered and
not just the price on the ticket.

As should the cost of chucking it away when a better tool is made for the
job.
I can see that a 40 year old BOSCH saw is going to be as easy to use as a
new one, maybe.
Just because a tool can last 40 years doesn't mean it should, times change,
safety systems change, materials change buying one built to last may mean
throwing a tool away that could last another 20 years if you didn't want
some better features.