Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction
[email protected] bigjimpack@gmail.com is offline

Default 40 gal just not enough: Replacing water heater for 2400 sq home.Family of 2 adults + 2 children

when going on vacation I turn my water heater to vacation setting. i
doubt it comes on then and costs almost nothing. i too am not sold on
the tankless.

On Apr 7, 3:30*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On Apr 7, 2:59 pm, mike wrote:

On Apr 7, 11:50 am, "Bill" wrote:

Instead of replacing the old with a newer version of the old, you may
want to look into a tankless water heater instead of keeping that 40+
gallons of water at ready-to-be-used temperature 24/7/365 when you
really only need the hot water for _maybe_ an hour a day. *They've
been in use around the world for decades, but are just gaining
momentum in the US.
Here's one link: *http://www.tanklesswaterheaterguide.com/I haven't
read through that link, but it seemed to hit the high points and will
give you an overview - from there it's up to you and your finely honed
Google skills.

Tankless is the way to go.
Just ask yourself, do you keep your auto running in the driveway so it will
be warm when you get in it?

They say tankless is 80% more efficient than an electric tank.
That one is more expensive, but it recoupes in cost in two to three years.

Spare us the tankless marketing bullship. *Standard water heaters DO
NOT run constantly. *They are well insulated and have a large thermal
mass of water inside.

When tankless salesmen feel the need to trot out BS like that, it
makes me distrust any further "data" they want to push.

No, they don't run constantly, but they do maintain a large amount of
mass at a substantially higher temperature with relatively little
insulation. *There's only one way to do that - throw money at it. *The
standard water heater tank doesn't have a setback or vacation setting,
so it maintains that higher temperature regardless of the amount of
hot water actually needed, time of day, etc. *Tankless is a superior
system for almost everyone. *I don't buy anything based on what a
salesman or marketing department states without performing some due
diligence and investigating on my own.

R- Hide quoted text -