Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction
ransley ransley is offline

Default 40 gal just not enough: Replacing water heater for 2400 sq home.Family of 2 adults + 2 children

On Apr 9, 12:02*pm, "cshenk" wrote:
"ransley" wrote

1 - At least one regular poster here continually mentions the winter
benefit of heat loss without regard to where the water heater is
located and totally ignores the AC impact in the summer.

Actually I didnt mention that but I'll add I 'seem' to get a *small* benefit
there. *It isnt much but in the garage, which is cold in winter, a small
amount of heat is added by it. *Being in the garage, it's effect on the AC
of the house in summer is negligible.

Mine is nearing end of life cycle so I'm reading the discussion carefully
and looking at replacement units. *Newer ones are much better than my old
one.

I note several tank types around 400$ or less which would effectively
replace the existing unit with same style but more efficient, and lots of
tankless systems.

Running through the web page another posted, I seem to be the 'break even'
on gas price to run here with a slight edge to a tank type. *The only real
difference seems to be how long the units last? *That and a slight residual
heat generated to the garage which in winter for me, is a beneficial but
minor 'nice' towards the tank type.

New tankless may last 30-40yrs +. a copper pipe, finned is the
Exchanger, your answer is how long do your copper pipes last, 60
years ??