Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I don't want a pool

On Apr 9, 5:57*pm, "RBM" wrote:
"al" wrote in message

I've been looking for a new house and a couple that I've liked have
pools. *If I got one of those houses and wanted to get rid of the
pool, what would be the best way to do that? *Just fill it in or
demolish it then fill.

You're paying taxes on the pool. you will probably need to get a permit to
demo it,and there may be some specifics as to how the town wants it done.
Then it gets removed from the survey and the tax role

I don't know why people jump to the conclusion that a pool
automatically means the house is going to cost $20K more. In most of
the USA, particularly northern climates, when you add a pool, you may
not get anything back when you sell it. Or, in some cases, it can
actually hinder the sale. For example, families with small children
may be reluctant to buy it.

If you're satisfied with the house and price, the pool certainly can
be removed. If the pool has a concrete deck around it, I would demo
that. For the pool itself, I'd get rid of just the top foot, punch
holes in the bottom, then use clean fill, followed by topsoil.