Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Supporting Cast Iron DWV Pipe

Wayne Whitney wrote:
On 2008-04-09, dpb wrote:

But, the plumbers tape will probably just as simple and since it is
flexible will undoubtedly be be more quiet. Rigid w/o a a cushion
somewhere -- vibration/noise.

The noise concern is from flowing waste water through the pipe, I
don't think there's going to be much vibration from that. But
flexibility still seems like a good idea, so maybe I should just use
the plumber's tape. I guess if it seems too flimsy I can always
support it more often. Thanks.

I ken, but there's also the thermal expansion/contraction which while
not _as_ significant w/ cast as plastic is a potential if the mount is
rigid against the hanger. Different noise, surely.

See my other posting on possible hangers if you really decide to go that
route, but my guess would be if you get it in place w/ the tape it will
be every bit as stout as you could wish, particularly if you on occasion
wrap it 360 around rather than just support it from underneath.