Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate Darrell Feltmate is offline

Default Turned Piece The End Point OR A Step To The End Point?

You know, I have been spoiled with art around the house. My wife has a great
eye for beautiful and thought provoking stuff. She comes by it honestly. Her
father was a fine amateur sculptur and painter as well as a highly skilled
wood worker having apprenticed as a wooden ship builder back in the UK. Her
uncle and aunt were and are professional painters and sculpturs (we have
some pieces). My wife is an incredible quilter who designs her own patterns.

I realize that some artists seek to pull my chain by presenting work that is
rude, unfinished, unpolished and downright ugly. I also realize that it has
its place. However, I am a minister. I deal daily with people who have some
of the great problems of the world. Sometimes I just need to hold something
beautiful in my hands and realize that it was made by imperfect people who
are trying to bring beauty into the world. I like that.

On the seventh day (and I do not care if it was 24 minutes, 24 hours or 24
million years long) God relaxed and enjoyed what he had made and saw that it
was good. There is a connection wonderful to experience when you pick up a
piece of work that took minutes or hours to make and realize it is good and
it just may bring a smile to someone's face.

I realize that I am on a tangent from this thread, but thanks for starting
it Arch.

Shalom

Darrell

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
"charlie b" wrote in message
There is some benefit to getting feedback on pieces from more experienced
turners. When I turn a piece and something doesn't look quite right but I
can't put my finger on why - another set of eyes and another perspective
can
be helpful.

Turning is The Wild West of woodworking, and unlike "flat work", there are
almost limitless possibilities - and just as many ways of getting there.
As
a result, while some may try and impose DOGMA, there are just too many
anarchist turners who go their own way - and often inspire others to do
the
same. Alas, The Life Of Brian (see Montey Python) Syndrome, "Tells Us
What
To Do (and how to do it) - Master!" kicks in and some folks want to become
Apostles (read "followers of") - which leads to many turning "churches"
and
all that goes with them (Thou Shalt & Thou Shalt Not, MINE is the ONLY
TRUE
WAY).

So many turners are trending towards "multi-media" pieces and that's a
good
thing if it permits them to make an idea or feeling into an object others
can see and perhaps feel something other than "oh look - wood (fill in
the
blank)". While I personally don't find a bandsawn chunk of wood that's
been
charred, a concave hemisphere turned into a facet on the charred chunk of
wood - that's been painted bright RED! - it did provoke a response -
UGHHH!
I prefer things that have an interesting first impression followed by a
lot
closer look and some thinking. And if it brings a smile - even better.
AND
- if it gets me to want to try and figure out how the hell it was done . .
.

I've ordered a MiniMonster captured hollowing systems that may change what
turn and having access to a laser engraver/cutter opens up some
possibiiies.

The wonderful thing about turning is there are so many possibilities and
so
many ways to get there - and half the fun is discovering.

charlie b