Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default FS -- 22,000 artillery shells 155mm

I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that Gunner Asch
wrote on Tue, 08 Apr 2008 22:29:43 -0700
in rec.crafts.metalworking :
On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 23:09:35 -0500, Ignoramus15795

On 2008-04-09, SteveB wrote:

"Ignoramus15795" wrote in message
news On 2008-04-09, RoyJ wrote:
No delivery. You have to "demil" (de militarize) them on the spot. 50
pounds EACH times 22,000 of them is 28 fully loaded semi trailers full.

They weigh as much as a complete Big Boy steam engine.

It's going to be interesting who does finally buy them, and what they do
with them. Anyone with this knowledge, please keep us posted.

They are supposed to be "demilled", which will render them militarily
useless. Basically they will be ruined mechanically (the procedure is
outlined in the auction). Then they will most likely be sold for
steel scrap and melted somewhere.

What I am wondering about, is why did the military scrap them.

And what happened to the explosive filler?

I suspect that may be part of the "de-mil" operation.

I recall the Air Force deciding it had several tons of surplus
bombs, and put them up for bid. The winner was going to use the
explosive as a feed stock for fertilizer & plastics, and then scrap
the cases. The AF decided that was wrong ("some one will profit from
this") and instead blew up the bombs. So for a couple weeks, we'd
hear the 'crump' of HE, and be able to see a cloud of smoke rising
from the EOD area. OTOH - the sales part of the story may have been
rumor, and the reality was the EOD boys just wanted to make noise...

Gunner

--
pyotr filipivich
"I had just been through hell and must have looked like death warmed