Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default "Thanks for yer help" (not).

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 16:42:54 -0700 (PDT), Martin Pentreath
wrote:

Hi Tim,

I'd agree that it's cheaper, and you're more likely to get good
advice, by asking questions in here and then ordering what you want
from Screwfix. Given the low prices in Screwfix, Toolstation and the
like for both trade and "the public" (incidentally, why any business
should make that distinction in its pricing is beyond me),

Agreed, but although I do have a Screwfix (and possibly Toolstation
tho I've never used them before) reasonably locally, neither are as
near as Wickes for me and for just a couple of items often not worth
the extra effort.

I would
have thought that the only long-term, stay-in-business strategy for
building and plumbers' merchants is to give out very good, friendly
advice, for which most people would happily pay a premium.

You would have thought eh. To be fair the guy I normally speak to at
this plumbers merchants is 'ok'. Not over useful but I understand with
all the rules and regs these days they can't always advise re stuff
that needs to comply etc. The point though is though, if I knew what I
wanted I would have gone straight to one of the sheds. As it turns out
I did know what I wanted. ;-)

If they
want to be arsey as well as expensive good riddance to them, I've got
a special relationship with the lady on the Screwfix switchboard!

Exactly. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m