Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Any views on Ryobi 18v impact driver?

On 2008-04-09 21:45:30 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"

On 2008-04-09 19:28:49 +0100, "dennis@home"

Who said anything about going into business? There is a lot more
to a purchase than the initial outlay.

There's also your budget to consider, something you always seem to
forget - being a rich bloke I assume.

Actually not. One needs to take into account all of the factors when
considering a budget. That needs to include time taken when doing
work as well as time taken if items need to be serviced or replaced.
In other words it is the lifetime cost that matters, not just the
purchase price.

But those costs don't enter into the equation for DIY users. Diy
enthusiasts don't cost out their time like tradesmen have to. As to
lifetime cost, thats relevant for trade users but not for DIY users.

I remember reading that the first DIY electric drills from Black & Decker
and Stanley Bidges had a motor life of an hour. The theory was that, for
example, putting up a set of shelves would involve drilling 24 holes, each
taking maybe 10 seconds to drill, or 4 mins out of a total motor life of 60
mins

For the average Barry Bucknell DIY guy that meant his drill would last him
5 - 10 years.

Makita or Bosch are a great choice for full
time users but overkill for occcassional DIY use. Ryobi is a good
mid range price machine ideal for DIY use.

That makes no sense at all. It is assuming that because the
application is "DIY" that there is not the need for quality tools in
terms of usability, accuracy and speed of working. Time is not free
and "DIY" does not equate to an excuse for crappy tools, materials and
outcome.

You miss the point. DIY time is 'free' in the mind of a DIY enthusiast. A
reasonably priced power tool that enables a DIY guy to do a job he could not
have done without it fufills a need. It may not be as nice to use, be quite
as accurate or last as long as a top brand, but that doesn't matter.

Some power tools are a 'luxury' purchase for the DIY guy. A biscuit joiner
that enables him to build a one off kitchen. An SDS that means he can hang
those 4 curtain poles.

Bought a Ryobi SDS t'other day as a 'clean' SDS to take into peoples
houses for lintels etc, Wickes SDS does the dirty work like light
breaking. The Ryobi is a nice solid machine that performs well and
was £40 on a Screwfix offer.

Couldn't possibly justify £100 on a second machine, can justify £40.

This is illogical as well. You are currently charging £45 as the
starting hour rate including travel. If you need to buy two of the
£40 drills in the same period of time that a £100 DeWalt or Bosch
would last, you will have spent two lots of £40 plus waste of an hour
effecting the replacement. That scenario is highly probable and as
(almost) always, buying the cheap thing is a false economy.

Not so. The Ryobi I bought is intended only for use in 'clean' areas like
fitting curtain poles in lounges with white carpets & silk wallpaper. It
will be used infrequently because the Wickes/Kress SDS does all the heavy
dirty work. I estimate it will be used 3
or 4 times a month for short periods - half a dozen holes in a lintel each
time.

My justification for buying it is based on customer service - I take my
boots off, my hop up rests on a dust sheet, I use a nice clean drill with a
nice clean cable, that doesn't look like a refugee from a building site &
doesnt leave a dirty mark on the carpet. Thats worth £40 to me as I work
regularly for a couple of up market curtain desingers. Its a 'luxury'
purchase.

So, useage actually around 4 mins a month - I reckon it will outlast me.
Not dissimilar to DIY use really. A DIY guy with his first SDS will use it
for a few hours, then it sits in the box for 6 months until the next project
starts.

Horses for courses Andy. Tools that I use every day I'm willing to invest
in. Tools used occassionally as a luxury I need to justify & wait for a
special offer.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk