Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Any views on Ryobi 18v impact driver?

On 2008-04-09 19:28:49 +0100, "dennis@home"

On 2008-04-09 17:26:59 +0100, "dennis@home"
said:

Screwfix have a kit with a Ryobi 18v (one+) combo drill and an impact
driver with two batteries, charger and bag for £100.
Seems good value but are the tools Ok?

They are a mediochre brand manufactured by Tecthtronics International,
a Chinese company. Ryobi is better than their Power Devil and AEG
brands but not as good as Milwaukee which they also make.

I have looked at and handled Ryobi drills. They do not feel solid
and precise and the mechanisms seem quite clunky.

The impact driver feels very solid.
Yes, I went and spent some cash.

The drill is much lighter and has less metal.

Exactly. That has a number of implications.

Makita or Bosch would be much better choices in terms of build quality
and usability.

But rather more in cash terms and I am not going into business.

Who said anything about going into business? There is a lot more to a
purchase than the initial outlay.