Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Any views on Ryobi 18v impact driver?

On 2008-04-09 19:28:49 +0100, "dennis@home"

On 2008-04-09 17:26:59 +0100, "dennis@home"
said:

Screwfix have a kit with a Ryobi 18v (one+) combo drill and an
impact driver with two batteries, charger and bag for £100.
Seems good value but are the tools Ok?

They are a mediochre brand manufactured by Tecthtronics
International, a Chinese company. Ryobi is better than their
Power Devil and AEG brands but not as good as Milwaukee which they
also make. I have looked at and handled Ryobi drills. They do not
feel
solid and precise and the mechanisms seem quite clunky.

The impact driver feels very solid.
Yes, I went and spent some cash.

The drill is much lighter and has less metal.

Exactly. That has a number of implications.

Makita or Bosch would be much better choices in terms of build
quality and usability.

But rather more in cash terms and I am not going into business.

Who said anything about going into business? There is a lot more to a
purchase than the initial outlay.

There's also your budget to consider, something you always seem to forget -
being a rich bloke I assume. Makita or Bosch are a great choice for full
time users but overkill for occcassional DIY use. Ryobi is a good mid range
price machine ideal for DIY use.

Bought a Ryobi SDS t'other day as a 'clean' SDS to take into peoples houses
for lintels etc, Wickes SDS does the dirty work like light breaking. The
Ryobi is a nice solid machine that performs well and was £40 on a Screwfix
offer.

Couldn't possibly justify £100 on a second machine, can justify £40.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk