Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction

Default 40 gal just not enough: Replacing water heater for 2400 sq home.

On Apr 9, 6:25 am, glen stark wrote:
Hi everyone.

I'd like to try and elevate the tankless vs. tank discussion a little
bit. Let me just say however, kudos for actually bringing a citation into
the conversation (WP article). Unfortunately the cited article is
severely flawed. It attempts to generalize from anecdotal evidence, and
neglects to mention a key benefit of tankless systems: they have an
expected life time of OVER 20 YEARS (citation below).

http://www.eere.energy.gov/consumer/...0mytopic=12820
note it appears in homes that use more water, the typical 2 adults and
2 teenagers savings are less, probably because the standard tank
spends more time heating water and less time standing by. this is a
new wrinkle on the tank vs tankless discussion

For homes that use 41 gallons or less of hot water daily, demand water
heaters can be 24%-34% more energy efficient than conventional storage
tank water heaters. They can be 8%-14% more energy efficient for homes
that use a lot of hot water--around 86 gallons per day. You can achieve
even greater energy savings of 27%-50% if you install a demand water
heater at each hot water outlet.