Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ RoyJ is offline

Default FS -- 22,000 artillery shells 155mm

Assuming 8 hours per day, 5 days per week, you need to do 42 pieces per
hour. Lets say 5 minutes to do the 2 cuts would take 4 bandsaws, 4
operators, and at least 2 laborers hauling material around. 3240 man
hours to salvage 1.1 million pounds. 340 pounds of material per man
hour. I guess you could make some money on that deal. There is some
aluminum and some copper that would need to be separated. I'd be looking
real hard at figuring out how to separate the material as part of the
demil process.

Randy wrote:
On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 21:25:28 -0500, Ignoramus15795

On 2008-04-09, RoyJ wrote:
No delivery. You have to "demil" (de militarize) them on the spot. 50
pounds EACH times 22,000 of them is 28 fully loaded semi trailers full.

They weigh as much as a complete Big Boy steam engine.

1.1 million pounds, 22,000 pieces. 90 days to complete the jobs. How
many band saws would you need?

The mill spec sheet lists an oxy fuel torch as an acceptable method
but my experience is cutting a hollow cylinder with a torch sucks.

After the shells are cut "they" will move then to a new pile, then
load them into your trucks in lots of 40,000 lbs.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.