Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ RoyJ is offline

Default building trailer axles

They use 1-3/4" stock because it is the smallest (read cheapest material
cost) that will turn down to fit the 1.71 grease seal and bearing sizes
that is standard on heavier duty hubs.

If I were in the business of manufacturing axles, I'd have my supplier
turn the spindles to give a tight fit on the axle tubes I needed for
strength and cost. That might not be 1-3/4" raw stock.

mark wrote:
On Apr 5, 11:55 pm, RoyJ wrote:
I was watching the other replies, no one seemed to pick up on the fact
that you misstated the the difference in sizes. The schedule 80 is
indeed 1.90" but the axle stub is 1.750" or .150" smaller (10x larger
play than the .015" listed in your post). That will indeed require some
sort of shimming or massive plug welds to accommodate the misfit.

mark wrote:
My local trailer building supply house has "high speed stub axle
assemblies" with a stub 4"long and 1/3/4"in diameter made so you can
build your own axles. I assume they are designed to go into some type
of pipe or tubing and welded in place but what kind. The u bolt spring
hangers they sell are for 2 3/8"dia . This leads me to believe maybe
2"schedule 80 pipe which is 2 3/8"OD but 1.90"ID. Is 0.015" play too
much, should they be wrapped with shimstock? There is 2 3/8"tubing
available but the ID is 1.749" so they won't fit that. The seller
(princess auto) has no idea either. Thanks- Hide quoted text -

14 gauge sheet metal rolled up as a shim would work nicely then, it is
0.074". Doesn't this whole thing not make any sense. Why don't they
make the spindles to fit commonly available pipe or tubing.