Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction
PeterD PeterD is offline

Default 40 gal just not enough: Replacing water heater for 2400 sq home. Family of 2 adults + 2 children

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 12:30:10 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour
wrote:

On Apr 7, 2:59 pm, mike wrote:

Spare us the tankless marketing bullship. Standard water heaters DO
NOT run constantly. They are well insulated and have a large thermal
mass of water inside.

When tankless salesmen feel the need to trot out BS like that, it
makes me distrust any further "data" they want to push.

I was going to jump on Mike but then you proved him totally correct!

No, they don't run constantly, but they do maintain a large amount of
mass at a substantially higher temperature with relatively little
insulation.

The insulation in most water heaters today is good and easily
supplicated as well. That's not a valid point at all.

There's only one way to do that - throw money at it. The
standard water heater tank doesn't have a setback or vacation setting,

Sure it does. Gas water heaters do have (and have had for years) such
as setting. An electric heater has the circuit breaker--kick it off
and the hot water cost is then zero.

so it maintains that higher temperature regardless of the amount of
hot water actually needed, time of day, etc. Tankless is a superior
system for almost everyone.

Nope, not even slightly.

I don't buy anything based on what a
salesman or marketing department states without performing some due
diligence and investigating on my own.

Which you didn't do here. There are many situations where tankless is
far from optimal.

Oh, and FYI, I've had both, and I'm totally satisfied with the results
of my 40 gal *tanked* water heater! We're not talking investigation
here, but real world experience.