Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction
Thomas G. Marshall Thomas G. Marshall is offline

Default 40 gal just not enough: Replacing water heater for 2400 sq home. Family of 2 adults + 2 children

Glenn said something like:
"Thomas G. Marshall"
. com
wrote in message news:VMsKj.891$NM.653@trnddc01...

Ok, our 40 gal gas water heater is failing. About 10
years old, which I hear is ok.

But every time I talk to someone about their 40 gal
water heater, they all complain that they run out of
hot water (comparable size homes and kids).

When I had two daughters home, I had two 40gal set up
in series. They make a 60 gal but 2 - 40's probably
would be cheaper.

Another question that has always bugged me raises in me noggin.

What happens when half a tank is used up? Does ice cold water rush in and
cool everything down? Is it thus better to gang two together somehow to
have the 2nd take over when the first is refilling?