Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default 40 gal just not enough: Replacing water heater for 2400 sq home.Family of 2 adults + 2 children

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
1. Is 80 gallons overkill? Perhaps I'm reacting viscerally.

In my experience, yes; but everybody is different. We raised four kids
and don't recall running out of hot water being a significant issue.

2. Am I going to notice a large gas usage increase?

Well, certainly it will go up -- how much will depend on how much more
hot water you end up actually using.

3. Are there rules in place limiting the water tank sizes?

Some jurisdictions, possibly altho I've not heard of it doesn't mean
there aren't...

4. Are there any particular brands to look for or stay away from?

No data...

Comments --

1. There's a middle between 40 and 80, too. What about 50/60???

2. If there's a particular bath that tends to be the problem area,
might consider the on-demand solution for the overloaded area.

3. Depending on house layout, two smaller each located strategically
might be a better solution than the single larger, too...