Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] noname87@hotmail.com is offline

Default Dead Electrical Circuit Troubleshooting

Trevor,

As I said before, you need to find out what is on this circuit. So
check any outlets and switches that you haven't checked yet.

A few things to check for:

1) At the circuit breaker: Test the voltage (with the breaker on)
between the hot terminal of the breaker and the neutral terminal
strip. Is there 120V or does the lamp on the tester light? If no,
replace. If yes, turn it off and verify that the power disconnects.
For safety reasons, I would make sure that only ONE hand is in contact
with the panel at a time. If you replace the breaker, turn off the
main breaker before removing the breaker. The pros probably don't but
they are use to working inside the box, you are not.

2) With the main circuit breaker off, verify that the neutral and
ground wire screws in the panel are tight.

3) If the breaker is good, then you need to check each box on the
circuit. Check for power coming into the box. If there is no power
then the problem will be 1) bad wire (unlikely if you haven't been
working around the wires) or 2) that the power never left the previous
box. Go to the the previous box and check for loose connections, loose
wire nuts, loose terminal screws. If the wires are pushed into the
back or the receptacle instead of being wrap around the screws then I
would replace the outlet and use the screw terminals instead. Back
stabbed connection can weaken over time (or so I been told). If the
wires are pushed into the back of the outlet and the outlet has power
DO NOT assume that the wires leaving the outlet have power. You will
need to check.

4) If after checking all the boxes and you still can't find the
problem then there are a few possibilities. 1) that a wire is damage
between two boxes, 2) That you missed a box, 3) That a box is hidden
in the walls (against code but it happens) or 4) ?

Good luck.

Phil