Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Pitfalls to avoid? Brick BBQ rebuild

On Apr 7, 6:02*am, "cshenk" wrote:
I'd appreciate any tips or good web sites to check on this.

Situation is the built in brick BBQ in the backyard has sunk in at the
center. *Most likely was sand filled with fireplace bricking over the center
and that center has now leeched down. Also some of the bricking along the
top (about 4 or 5) that makes a sort of '3 sided box' that rises up to hold
the coals safely have come loose. *(there's a longish front and you set the
coals to the back).

All I know really is to make sure it's built of stone/brick meant for this
sort of use. *We can actually salvage the center portion stones that sunk in
as they are not broken. JUst time made the mortor 'fade' so water got in to
what seems a sandy substrate under.

Is this a reasonable DIY sort of job?

Top row bricks that are uncapped easily fail where daily freeze-thaw
cycles in winter ruin mortar. Even at 0f outside at night the sun
during the day can raise brick temperature above freezing , at night
it refreezes and what melted freezes and loosens the mortar. Cap the
top with Copper, aluminum or stone.