Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pitfalls to avoid? Brick BBQ rebuild

I'd appreciate any tips or good web sites to check on this.

Situation is the built in brick BBQ in the backyard has sunk in at the
center. Most likely was sand filled with fireplace bricking over the center
and that center has now leeched down. Also some of the bricking along the
top (about 4 or 5) that makes a sort of '3 sided box' that rises up to hold
the coals safely have come loose. (there's a longish front and you set the
coals to the back).

All I know really is to make sure it's built of stone/brick meant for this
sort of use. We can actually salvage the center portion stones that sunk in
as they are not broken. JUst time made the mortor 'fade' so water got in to
what seems a sandy substrate under.

Is this a reasonable DIY sort of job?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Just go ahead and fix it as best you know how. Then if your repair work
later has problems, you can always do it over and make changes/improvements.

This is how I learn to do these things. I do something once and might not do
it exactly right or may have considered something like a bit of a slope so
rain water will drain out or whatever. Then when I fix it the second time,
the repair is just right!

"cshenk" wrote in message
I'd appreciate any tips or good web sites to check on this.

Situation is the built in brick BBQ in the backyard has sunk in at the
center. Most likely was sand filled with fireplace bricking over the
center and that center has now leeched down. Also some of the bricking
along the top (about 4 or 5) that makes a sort of '3 sided box' that rises
up to hold the coals safely have come loose. (there's a longish front and
you set the coals to the back).

All I know really is to make sure it's built of stone/brick meant for this
sort of use. We can actually salvage the center portion stones that sunk
in as they are not broken. JUst time made the mortor 'fade' so water got
in to what seems a sandy substrate under.

Is this a reasonable DIY sort of job?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 7, 6:02*am, "cshenk" wrote:
I'd appreciate any tips or good web sites to check on this.

Situation is the built in brick BBQ in the backyard has sunk in at the
center. *Most likely was sand filled with fireplace bricking over the center
and that center has now leeched down. Also some of the bricking along the
top (about 4 or 5) that makes a sort of '3 sided box' that rises up to hold
the coals safely have come loose. *(there's a longish front and you set the
coals to the back).

All I know really is to make sure it's built of stone/brick meant for this
sort of use. *We can actually salvage the center portion stones that sunk in
as they are not broken. JUst time made the mortor 'fade' so water got in to
what seems a sandy substrate under.

Is this a reasonable DIY sort of job?

Top row bricks that are uncapped easily fail where daily freeze-thaw
cycles in winter ruin mortar. Even at 0f outside at night the sun
during the day can raise brick temperature above freezing , at night
it refreezes and what melted freezes and loosens the mortar. Cap the
top with Copper, aluminum or stone.