Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default can anyone tell me what this thing is really really used for?

On Apr 7, 9:02*am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
As a matter of mechanical principle, though, static balancing, even by
distributing weights, is not "perfectly accurate." It's only accurate in
terms of the circumferential balance of the wheel. If wheels didn't rotate,
or if they rotated only slowly, you could statically balance a wheel so that
it didn't hop up and down, and you could get it dead-nuts accurate.

Ed Huntress

The static balancer I described above was meant to spin-balance a tire
as well. The music-wire point was mounted in the center of a ball
bearing so it would rotate. Of course the wheel would rotate on a
stationary point as well but the contact area would quickly wear, so
the bearing let the point turn when friction increased.

If the tire was balanced level with a weight on the top only, when the
wheel was spun that weight would pull itself toward a plane through
the center of rotation and the wheel would wobble. I could mark the
high spot opposite with chalk.

It did wobble but not enough to bother with, since the tire had been
spin-balanced originally (and the problem wasn't imbalance anyway) so
I used the 4-weight pattern, 2 oversized weights on each side spread
apart to reduce their effect. I actually got the tire to run smoothly
up to 65MPH with no active shock absorber.

Jim Wilkins