Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leo Lichtman Leo Lichtman is offline

Default can anyone tell me what this thing is really really used for?

"William Noble" wrote: What I was trying to say by "increased sensitivity"
was that for a given
amount of unbalance the bubble would move farther so that you could see it
better - isn't that sensitivity?

What I meant was that for a given amount of unbalance, the position of the
bubble within its surround is the same. To me that is the SAME sensitivity.
For the sake of discussion, let's take this to a ridiculous extreme. Make
the post 8' tall, so you have to stand on a ladder to see the bubble. A
small tilt of the balancer would move the bubble about a foot, but the
surround would move with it, so you would still see very little displacement
of the bubble with respect to the "bullseye." {Hit nitpick send key.}