Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Noble William Noble is offline

Default can anyone tell me what this thing is really really used for?

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"Karl Townsend" wrote: (clip) Static balancers do as good a job as the
new dynamic units, but
they are fussy and slow.(clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
When the tire shop does a dynamic balance, they add weights to the inside
and the outside of the rim, according to what the computer tells them. A
static balancer cannot distinguish between the two sides of the wheel.

Bill, I must take issue with your statement, in the e-bay listing, that
the height of the post increases the sensitivity of the level. The bubble
moves off-center according to the ANGLE that it is off, and this does not
change with the height of the post. What DOES change is the DISTANCE that
the level moves off center, but that does not provide balancing
information. (I guess I'm just a nit-picker.)

What I was trying to say by "increased sensitivity" was that for a given
amount of unbalance the bubble would move farther so that you could see it
better - isn't that sensitivity?