Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default can anyone tell me what this thing is really really used for?

"Steve W." wrote in message
Karl Townsend wrote:
Just what you said: to balance wheel/tire assemblies. Before spin
balancers, this was an accepted method of statically balancing a wheel.

Hope its still accepted. I have one like bill's and my own tire changer
machine. Static balancers do as good a job as the new dynamic units, but
they are fussy and slow. Two traits that don't go well with the work you
get at wally world etc.

Karl

Same here. I have a manual changer and a nice Coates as well. Balancer
machines are nice BUT there are a bunch of tires you cannot do unless you
either buy a dedicated machine OR a bunch of adapter hardware. So for them
I use the static bubble. It just takes a brain to use it and you HAVE to
pay close attention.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

How do you achieve dynamic balance (freedom from side-to-side wobble) with a
static balancer, which measures circumferential balance?

As I understand it, you could get away with static balance when tires were
very skinny, but as they've gotten wider, it's become necessary to balance
them dynamically. Correct?

--
Ed Huntress