Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sam Goldwasser Sam Goldwasser is offline

Default Light bulb power saver (and now the rest of the story)

"Silver Surfer" writes:

Just found out that the daughter's mother-in-law has been on a
campaign to gradually replace incandescents throughout her house with
CFLs. Have to tip my hat to her for her initiative. Now with her
being a frugal sort what do you think she did with those used/aged
incandescent bulbs? Why of course she saved them and was using them
as replacements in the outdoor fixture every time a bulb in the
fixture burned out, then wondered why they were needing replaced so
often. Advised her to either put a CFL in the outdoor fixture or else
buy a brand new incandescent to try there. Don't you just love women?

The more important point is that outdoor fixtures are exactly the place
where CFLs should be used - they may be on for a large precentage of the
day and the color isn't that critical. If there isn't an issue of cold
temperatures, then CFLs are ideal since the savings due to increased
efficiency will be significant.

Incandescents can be left in places where they aren't used that much.
The difference in efficiency won't matter.