Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Silver Surfer[_2_] Silver Surfer[_2_] is offline

Default Light bulb power saver (and now the rest of the story)

Just found out that the daughter's mother-in-law has been on a campaign to
gradually replace incandescents throughout her house with CFLs. Have to tip
my hat to her for her initiative. Now with her being a frugal sort what do
you think she did with those used/aged incandescent bulbs? Why of course
she saved them and was using them as replacements in the outdoor fixture
every time a bulb in the fixture burned out, then wondered why they were
needing replaced so often. Advised her to either put a CFL in the outdoor
fixture or else buy a brand new incandescent to try there. Don't you just
love women?

"default" wrote in message

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 19:30:13 -0400, "Silver Surfer"
wrote:

Does anyone recall those power saving "discs" for light bulbs they were
selling back during the oil embargo days of the 70's. The disc was placed
in a standard light bulb fixture and the light bulb was screwed in next.
The disc was nothing more than a diode that "saved energy" by blocking
power
to the bulb for half of each cycle.

Is anyone still making these things? If so, where can I buy them?

You could always wire a diode into the switch and make it a three
position - did that for the reading light over my bed.

Newsgroups