Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Roofing Question

On Apr 5, 10:47*pm, Big_Jake wrote:
On Apr 5, 8:12 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

My wife got a quote to replace our roof. Since I haven't spoken to the
guy yet, I've got question about one thing he quoted:

"Additional cost of $45/sheet for 1/2" plywood."

I have 3/4" tongue & groove under the shingles, not plywood. He didn't
look in the attic, so I doubt he knows this.

Can I assume that the easy answer is - When I tell him it's 3/4"
tongue & groove he'll just quote me a higher price for 3/4" ply?

You can clarify this with your roofer, but on the rare occasions that
I have bid roof work, I would say something like "Contractor assumes
that a re-deck will not be necessary. *If roof needs a complete
redeck, an additional charge of $45 per sheet of 1/2" plywood will
apply.

Most older (pre-WWII) houses in my area have a layer of cedar shakes
at the bottom, and the 3/4" pine sheathing underneath has large gaps
in between the boards to allow the cedar to breath. *Once the roof is
torn off, the entire roof needs to be redecked, and we usually use
7/16" or 1/2" OSB.

JK

It sounds like you're saying that it's all or nothing. We both know
that's not true, so didn't you ever bid on a job that might need just
a sheet or two? Did you assume (and show up with) 1/2" ply?

For what it's worth, my deck is tight, no gaps...