Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roofing Question

My wife got a quote to replace our roof. Since I haven't spoken to the
guy yet, I've got question about one thing he quoted:

"Additional cost of $45/sheet for 1/2" plywood."

I have 3/4" tongue & groove under the shingles, not plywood. He didn't
look in the attic, so I doubt he knows this.

Can I assume that the easy answer is - When I tell him it's 3/4"
tongue & groove he'll just quote me a higher price for 3/4" ply?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 5, 9:12 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
My wife got a quote to replace our roof. Since I haven't spoken to the
guy yet, I've got question about one thing he quoted:

"Additional cost of $45/sheet for 1/2" plywood."

I have 3/4" tongue & groove under the shingles, not plywood. He didn't
look in the attic, so I doubt he knows this.

Can I assume that the easy answer is - When I tell him it's 3/4"
tongue & groove he'll just quote me a higher price for 3/4" ply?

Yes. What else could happen? For the material price difference it
doesn't make sense to futz around with shimming, particularly if he's
piecing in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 5, 10:25*pm, Blattus Slafaly 0/00 ? ? ?
wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
My wife got a quote to replace our roof. Since I haven't spoken to the
guy yet, I've got question about one thing he quoted:

"Additional cost of $45/sheet for 1/2" plywood."

I have 3/4" tongue & groove under the shingles, not plywood. He didn't
look in the attic, so I doubt he knows this.

Can I assume that the easy answer is - When I tell him it's 3/4"
tongue & groove he'll just quote me a higher price for 3/4" ply?

Why replace the whole roof if all you need is shingles?

--
Blattus Slafaly *? 3 * * *7/8

That's not a serious question is it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Blattus Slafaly 0/00 ? ? ? wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
My wife got a quote to replace our roof. Since I haven't spoken to the
guy yet, I've got question about one thing he quoted:

"Additional cost of $45/sheet for 1/2" plywood."

I have 3/4" tongue & groove under the shingles, not plywood. He didn't
look in the attic, so I doubt he knows this.

Can I assume that the easy answer is - When I tell him it's 3/4"
tongue & groove he'll just quote me a higher price for 3/4" ply?

Why replace the whole roof if all you need is shingles?

Who said anything about replacing the whole roof? A proper roof includes
a full tear-off, inspection, and thumping to look for soft spots. Having
to replace a few mushy spots (like around chimney where flashing often
fails) is quite routine.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 5, 10:20*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On Apr 5, 9:12 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

My wife got a quote to replace our roof. Since I haven't spoken to the
guy yet, I've got question about one thing he quoted:

"Additional cost of $45/sheet for 1/2" plywood."

I have 3/4" tongue & groove under the shingles, not plywood. He didn't
look in the attic, so I doubt he knows this.

Can I assume that the easy answer is - When I tell him it's 3/4"
tongue & groove he'll just quote me a higher price for 3/4" ply?

Yes. *What else could happen? *For the material price difference it
doesn't make sense to futz around with shimming, particularly if he's
piecing in.

What's interesting - and somewhat disturbing - is that he assumes it
is 1/2" without checking.

He just did a neighbor's house the other day and I saw the delivery
guy piling up a bunch of 1/2" sheets of ply.

What if I don't know it's 3/4' and he shows up with a bunch of 1/2"
ply? Is it safe to assume he'd send a truck for 3/4"? (That's not a
question looking for an answer...it's just a curiousity.)

I'm not going to let it be a problem cause every estimate from now on
will include 3/4" - and I will be checking with my neighbor to see if
the guy checked his house first.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 5, 8:12 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
My wife got a quote to replace our roof. Since I haven't spoken to the
guy yet, I've got question about one thing he quoted:

"Additional cost of $45/sheet for 1/2" plywood."

I have 3/4" tongue & groove under the shingles, not plywood. He didn't
look in the attic, so I doubt he knows this.

Can I assume that the easy answer is - When I tell him it's 3/4"
tongue & groove he'll just quote me a higher price for 3/4" ply?

You can clarify this with your roofer, but on the rare occasions that
I have bid roof work, I would say something like "Contractor assumes
that a re-deck will not be necessary. If roof needs a complete
redeck, an additional charge of $45 per sheet of 1/2" plywood will
apply.

Most older (pre-WWII) houses in my area have a layer of cedar shakes
at the bottom, and the 3/4" pine sheathing underneath has large gaps
in between the boards to allow the cedar to breath. Once the roof is
torn off, the entire roof needs to be redecked, and we usually use
7/16" or 1/2" OSB.

JK
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 5, 10:47*pm, Big_Jake wrote:
[...]

It sounds like you're saying that it's all or nothing. We both know
that's not true, so didn't you ever bid on a job that might need just
a sheet or two? Did you assume (and show up with) 1/2" ply?

For what it's worth, my deck is tight, no gaps...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 5, 10:35 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

What's interesting - and somewhat disturbing - is that he assumes it
is 1/2" without checking.

He just did a neighbor's house the other day and I saw the delivery
guy piling up a bunch of 1/2" sheets of ply.

What if I don't know it's 3/4' and he shows up with a bunch of 1/2"
ply? Is it safe to assume he'd send a truck for 3/4"? (That's not a
question looking for an answer...it's just a curiousity.)

I'm not going to let it be a problem cause every estimate from now on
will include 3/4" - and I will be checking with my neighbor to see if
the guy checked his house first.

You're only wasting your time and setting yourself up for a problem if
you don't impart all information you have to everyone you've chosen to
bid. There's really no point in either party making assumptions as
they rarely work out well.

I've seen engineer friends shoot themselves in the foot by overdoing
it and handing out six page sets of specifications for a simple
reroof, but there's a happy medium and you just have ot hit the high
points to keep the bids comparable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
What's interesting - and somewhat disturbing - is that he assumes it
is 1/2" without checking.

He just did a neighbor's house the other day and I saw the delivery
guy piling up a bunch of 1/2" sheets of ply.

*************************************

Can't say what he'd do. If reputable,he'd just put the right material in
place. In the case of your neighbor, it is possible he knew the entire deck
needed replacing and was going to use 1/2" all the way or was putting the
1/2" atop the t & g. We can make lots of assumptions, but you'd have to
call him to find out for sure.

Last summer I was getting bids on re-roofing an industrial building. One of
the quotes came back with the same wording, it was $xx per sheet for plywood
replacement. They guy was on up the roof and knew it was steel decking.
Got three bids and went with the highest bidder and saved money.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 5, 10:54*pm, RicodJour wrote:
[...]

I'm assuming this is a just general informationand not directed at me.

I already said that everyone will know it's 3/4". The last thing I'll
do is leave things as important as that to an assumption.

My wife was just doing me a favor since the guy was in the
neighborhood, Had I known she was being such an efficient wife, I'd
have let her know about all the things I think the contractor needs to
know before asking for a bid. The decking is not the only thing that I
want discussed.

But thanks anyway!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 5, 10:59*pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
[...]

As far as quoting plywood for a steel roof, I could see it happening.
On my quote, the wording about the 1/2" ply is a standard typed
clause, like the site cleanup, 30 lb felt, etc. There's lots of
specific stuff handwritten, but the ply quote is standard and noted
with "as needed".

I wonder if it was the same case with your building - a standard "as
needed' clause which obviously wouldn't be needed.

On the other hand, if the guy wrote (or typed) it in specifically for
your job - then that's another story!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
As far as quoting plywood for a steel roof, I could see it happening.
On my quote, the wording about the 1/2" ply is a standard typed
clause, like the site cleanup, 30 lb felt, etc. There's lots of
specific stuff handwritten, but the ply quote is standard and noted
with "as needed".

I wonder if it was the same case with your building - a standard "as
needed' clause which obviously wouldn't be needed.

On the other hand, if the guy wrote (or typed) it in specifically for
your job - then that's another story!

*****************************

I'm pretty sure it was just a standard clause, but he did not address the
real issue, replacing some of the steel deck. If they don't pay attention
to details in the bid, will they pay attention to the details in the roof?
I knew that some deck would have to be replaced.

The company that did the job also did two other roof sections a couple of
years ago. Weismann Roofing is a top notch outfit with fair prices and
professional work. They have the equipment and experienced people to do the
big jobs. Since this section (33,000 sq ft) was done we had them do the
office roof (10,000 ft shingled)
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

[...]

I've done roofing only on a personal basis and the last one was qute a
doozie. But anyway, in my limited exposure as to what's out there I've
never seen/heard of 3/4 t&g for roof decking. Kinda heavy duty no? That
doozie I mentioned was way north in the northeast, 50mi from Canada. I
think it was just 5/8" at most. Any regular sheathing roofs I've done
always had gaps. Gaps for expansion or it buckles. In fact some of the
sheets on that one did not have gaps and they buckled on many. Fixrd
that and ran a saw blade down all the seams to prevent buckling.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 5, 11:51*pm, Red Green wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote :

[...]

that and ran a saw blade down all the seams to prevent buckling.- Hide quoted text -

My whole house is 3/4" t&g. Subfloors and roof decking is 6 inch wide
material, exterior wall sheathing is 10" wide.

Interior walls are also 3/4" thick - 3/8 plaster over 3/8" x 8" t&g
brown-paper covered gypsum-like material. Seriously, it's t&g gypsum
board.

1956 colonial in western NY. Just a tad over-built. g

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

On Apr 5, 11:51*pm, Red Green wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote
innews:1a54b4e0-5489-4b62-a5b7-6e6

:

[...]

Thing is almost as old as me. I'm starting to get some rot too :-(
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 5, 9:54 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Since I wouldn't know how much I might need, I would wait 'til I
started the tear off before making the call on that sort of thing. I
would hate to show up with several sheets of plywood that I might not
need to use, or worse yet, guess at the thickness, but I am guessing
that things vary quite a bit regionally. I see mostly 3/4" as
sheathing, and sometimes thicker on really old (turn of the century)
buildings.

JK
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Blattus Slafaly 0/00 ? ? ?" wrote in
message
My wife got a quote to replace our roof.

Well why in hell does he need half inch plywood to shingle a roof?

He's going to stand on while shingling so he does not get the decking dirty
from his work boots

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote

My wife got a quote to replace our roof. Since I haven't spoken to the
guy yet, I've got question about one thing he quoted:

"Additional cost of $45/sheet for 1/2" plywood."

Thats pretty cheap. Perhaps a volume sale price?

I have 3/4" tongue & groove under the shingles, not plywood. He didn't
look in the attic, so I doubt he knows this.

He was on the roof though? Depending on how he inspected, he may have lifted
shingles and been able to tell from edges. Also, you dont say how much he
is replacing. If he' really replacing (as in all the wood layer), it doesnt
matter if he matches what used to be there.

Can I assume that the easy answer is - When I tell him it's 3/4"
tongue & groove he'll just quote me a higher price for 3/4" ply?

Thats reasonable. Best to tell him too. Oh, I'd get a second estimate and
a 3rd g.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 5, 7:25*pm, Blattus Slafaly 0/00 ? ? ?
wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
My wife got a quote to replace our roof. Since I haven't spoken to the
guy yet, I've got question about one thing he quoted:

"Additional cost of $45/sheet for 1/2" plywood."

I have 3/4" tongue & groove under the shingles, not plywood. He didn't
look in the attic, so I doubt he knows this.

Can I assume that the easy answer is - When I tell him it's 3/4"
tongue & groove he'll just quote me a higher price for 3/4" ply?

Why replace the whole roof if all you need is shingles?

--
Blattus Slafaly *? 3 * * *7/8

The whole thing sounds dubious to me. Why would a contractor be
delivering a pile of ply if they haven't even started the tear-off
yet. It costs money and time to deliver and then remove uneeded
material

I would not deal, or even talk, to a "contractor' that "happened to be
in the area". Well maybe I would depending on the looks of the
equipment and crew but it would only be to get a bid for comparing to
other companies.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2008-04-06, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I have 3/4" tongue & groove under the shingles, not plywood. He didn't
look in the attic.

If you are in a high wind or seismic area, you may wish to consider
going over all the T&G 1x with 1/2" plywood to improve the shear
resistance of the roof. Of course, the wall sheathing would be more
important to strengthen, but it is presumably not accessible.

Cheers, Wayne
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2008-04-06, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I have 3/4" tongue & groove under the shingles, not plywood. He didn't
look in the attic.

If you are in a high wind or seismic area, you may wish to consider
going over all the T&G 1x with 1/2" plywood to improve the shear
resistance of the roof. Of course, the wall sheathing would be more
important to strengthen, but it is presumably not accessible.

Cheers, Wayne

What on earth would have to happen to the house in order for the roof
deck to separate?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Norminn" wrote in message

What on earth would have to happen to the house in order for the roof deck
to separate?

Hurricane winds

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Norminn" wrote in message

What on earth would have to happen to the house in order for the roof deck
to separate?

Hurricane winds

I was just considering the diff between t&g and plywood. Hurricane
winds and everything goes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2008-04-06, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I have 3/4" tongue & groove under the shingles, not plywood. He didn't
look in the attic.

If you are in a high wind or seismic area, you may wish to consider
going over all the T&G 1x with 1/2" plywood to improve the shear
resistance of the roof. Of course, the wall sheathing would be more
important to strengthen, but it is presumably not accessible.

At $45/sheet? You're pretty free with the guy's money. The house has
been standing for 50 years, so there's little benefit to be gained
from an extra layer of sheathing. I also don't like adding weight to
a roof unnecessarily.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
My wife got a quote to replace our roof. Since I haven't spoken to the
guy yet, I've got question about one thing he quoted:

"Additional cost of $45/sheet for 1/2" plywood."

I have 3/4" tongue & groove under the shingles, not plywood. He didn't
look in the attic, so I doubt he knows this.

Can I assume that the easy answer is - When I tell him it's 3/4"
tongue & groove he'll just quote me a higher price for 3/4" ply?

Why replace the whole roof if all you need is shingles?

--
Blattus Slafaly *? 3 * * *7/8

The whole thing sounds dubious to me. *Why would a contractor be
delivering a pile of ply if they haven't even started the tear-off
yet. *It costs money and time to deliver and then remove uneeded
material

In the case of the neighbor's house (where the ply was delivered along
with the shingles) my wife tells me that they had water damage to the
bedroom ceilings due to the leaky roof. I can only assume that a more
through inspection was done before the material was delivered and the
work started. I won't know that until I've had a chance to speak to
the neighbor.

I would not deal, or even talk, to a "contractor' that "happened to be
in the area". *Well maybe I would depending on the looks of the
equipment and crew but it would only be to get a bid for comparing to
other companies.

Let me clarify something that you might have deduced by putting a
couple of different things in this thread together, although maybe
not. g

Yes, he was "in the neighborhood" but he was also roofing a neighbor's
house, a family we have known and liked for over 20 years. I've
trusted the nieghbor's judgement on other things in the past, so I
trust that he did his homework before hiring this particular roofer.
I can't say for sure until I talk to him, but that's my guess.

So this wasn't just a "Hey Look - a roofer - let's get an estimate."
It was more like "Hey that roofer's doing Richard's house - let's get
an estimate."

And yes, regardless of what his crew and equipment looked like, this
will be just one of at least 3 estimates I get.

Thanks for the advice.

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Harry K" wrote

The whole thing sounds dubious to me. Why would a contractor be
delivering a pile of ply if they haven't even started the tear-off
yet. It costs money and time to deliver and then remove uneeded
material

Appearances can be deceiving. They definatley arrived with sheets of
plywood at my place. Why? Because inspection already showed they would need
some. The company I used does enough roof work to have a ready stock on
hand so they brought what they thought they would need, then a few extra
'incase' (which we needed some of those few extra).

I would not deal, or even talk, to a "contractor' that "happened to be
in the area". Well maybe I would depending on the looks of the
equipment and crew but it would only be to get a bid for comparing to
other companies.

Always get multiple estimates but getting to see them at work on a neighbors
house can give you a good idea of the work they do.

I would say one other thing. A contractor who does too many different types
of jobs (all with one team) tends to not be very good at any of them. The
fellow we used does roofs (has a special team for that), siding (has a
separate special team), and custom windows (with a 3rd team). Each 'team'
does just their own type of work and do it well.