Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default How to bend 1/4" steel strip

On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 10:31:42 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm,
clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada quickly quoth:

On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 06:49:40 -0500, "Backlash"
wrote:

If you have a receiver type hitch on a towing vehicle, make a wood block
that is 2" X 1-3/4" in thickness, about 4 inches long, and place the short
bend end of your metal strip into the empty receiver hitch along with the

--snip--

For crying out loud, vices are CHEAP and usefull for so many things -
why would you try to use anything else? Clamp the bar in the vise,
with the short end sticking out and beat the short end with a big
hammet to the right angle. It AINT ROCKET SCIENCE. If you cannot
handle this, you should NOT be playing around with seat mounting
brackets.

I used my 6" vise to bend my mower handle open. It broke the last time
I mowed so I fixed that today. The ends of the tube were flattened and
drilled. It broke at the flattened portion. I opened the flat up and
inserted a piece fo scrap 1/8" steel strap, then TIGged it together
and painted it. It took about an hour all told.

My vise was both my press and my holder for the welding.

--
Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what
to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.