Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Backlash Backlash is offline

Default How to bend 1/4" steel strip

You might want to use hot rolled if you're going to bend it cold. Cold
rolled will usually crack during bending, unless it is first annealed with
the torch.

RJ

"Freddie" wrote in message
Having built a base, or two, for racing seats, I'd say that 1/4
material is overkill. 1/8 material is sufficient and is what all of
the commercial set bases that I've seen are made from. Pretty easy to
bent 1/8 material by clamping it in a vise and whacking it with a hand
sledge. No heat is needed, nor is a lot of precision required.

1/8 should be good enough and it should be much easier to work with.

Thanks,
Freddie