Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Splicing Romex

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
I need to lengthen some old wiring in order to make all the wires of a
3-way switch come together in a recessed lighting box that I am installing
in a first floor ceiling (no insulation).

In doing some web research, I see that splices can be done, but they must
be done in a junction box, and must be accessible.

It is the second part that is confusing me. How can I make the junction
box accessible when I just need to lengthen the wire by about a foot in
the ceiling of a finished area? It wouldn't be a big deal to remove the
light fixture, but "accessible" to me means the box is visible or in some
access door.

Thanks.

If you are using the junction box to support the light fixture then you are
fine in doing that. Fixture boxes are frequently used as junction boxes.
Just make sure that the box is deep enough for all of the wires.