Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Splicing Romex

I need to lengthen some old wiring in order to make all the wires of a 3-way
switch come together in a recessed lighting box that I am installing in a
first floor ceiling (no insulation).

In doing some web research, I see that splices can be done, but they must be
done in a junction box, and must be accessible.

It is the second part that is confusing me. How can I make the junction box
accessible when I just need to lengthen the wire by about a foot in the
ceiling of a finished area? It wouldn't be a big deal to remove the light
fixture, but "accessible" to me means the box is visible or in some access
door.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
I need to lengthen some old wiring in order to make all the wires of a
3-way switch come together in a recessed lighting box that I am installing
in a first floor ceiling (no insulation).

In doing some web research, I see that splices can be done, but they must
be done in a junction box, and must be accessible.

It is the second part that is confusing me. How can I make the junction
box accessible when I just need to lengthen the wire by about a foot in
the ceiling of a finished area? It wouldn't be a big deal to remove the
light fixture, but "accessible" to me means the box is visible or in some
access door.

Thanks.

My attic has 3 junction boxes that are not accessible from below. Check your
local code anyway (by calling the building inspector).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 5, 5:00 pm, "Buck Turgidson" wrote:
I need to lengthen some old wiring in order to make all the wires of a 3-way
switch come together in a recessed lighting box that I am installing in a
first floor ceiling (no insulation).

In doing some web research, I see that splices can be done, but they must be
done in a junction box, and must be accessible.

"old work" box with a blank plate.
http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/e...oldworkbox.htm

It is the second part that is confusing me. How can I make the junction box
accessible when I just need to lengthen the wire by about a foot in the
ceiling of a finished area? It wouldn't be a big deal to remove the light
fixture, but "accessible" to me means the box is visible or in some access
door.

The box is flush with the ceiling.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"old work" box with a blank plate.
http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/e...oldworkbox.htm

It is the second part that is confusing me. How can I make the junction
box
accessible when I just need to lengthen the wire by about a foot in the
ceiling of a finished area? It wouldn't be a big deal to remove the
light
fixture, but "accessible" to me means the box is visible or in some
access
door.

The box is flush with the ceiling.

I've used Carlon boxes before in walls. So you're saying I need to put a
box in the ceiling with a cover? Man, that would be ugly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Buck Turgidson wrote:
I need to lengthen some old wiring in order to make all the wires of a 3-way
switch come together in a recessed lighting box that I am installing in a
first floor ceiling (no insulation).

In doing some web research, I see that splices can be done, but they must be
done in a junction box, and must be accessible.

It is the second part that is confusing me. How can I make the junction box
accessible when I just need to lengthen the wire by about a foot in the
ceiling of a finished area? It wouldn't be a big deal to remove the light
fixture, but "accessible" to me means the box is visible or in some access
door.

Thanks.

Yep, you got it. I found a loose butt splice buried in the wall behind
the medicine cabinet, when I cleaned up the wiring in the bathroom
shortly after moving in here. Thankfully it was a low-draw circuit and
hadn't started any fires, and I had access from the attic to drop a new
wire.

When you say first floor, I assume there is no access from above? Are
the wires in the joist spaces floating or stapled? Which way do they
run? Any way you can add a junction box in a closet ceiling or some
place it won't look horrible, and fish the wires there? Or can you get
to the far end of the wire, and use the existing wire to pull a new
longer wire? Wire costs a lot more than it used to, but it is still
cheaper than patching wallboard and repainting. Any other way you can
fish new wire and just abandon the existing wires in place? Really hard
to offer advice without seeing the room. You may wanna consider hiring
one of those moonlighting or semi-retired electricians that advertise in
the ad papers, to come take a look. Make sure they have 'old work'
experience. They usually know a few tricks about fishing wires, and
other ways to lay out a circuit.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
I need to lengthen some old wiring in order to make all the wires of a
3-way switch come together in a recessed lighting box that I am installing
in a first floor ceiling (no insulation).

In doing some web research, I see that splices can be done, but they must
be done in a junction box, and must be accessible.

It is the second part that is confusing me. How can I make the junction
box accessible when I just need to lengthen the wire by about a foot in
the ceiling of a finished area? It wouldn't be a big deal to remove the
light fixture, but "accessible" to me means the box is visible or in some
access door.

Thanks.

If you are using the junction box to support the light fixture then you are
fine in doing that. Fixture boxes are frequently used as junction boxes.
Just make sure that the box is deep enough for all of the wires.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Buck Turgidson" wrote:
I need to lengthen some old wiring in order to make all the wires of a 3-way
switch come together in a recessed lighting box that I am installing in a
first floor ceiling (no insulation).

In doing some web research, I see that splices can be done, but they must be
done in a junction box, and must be accessible.

It is the second part that is confusing me. How can I make the junction box
accessible when I just need to lengthen the wire by about a foot in the
ceiling of a finished area? It wouldn't be a big deal to remove the light
fixture, but "accessible" to me means the box is visible or in some access
door.

What "accessible" means _to_you_ is not relevant. What _is_ relevant is its
meaning in the National Electrical Code: "Capable of being removed or exposed
without damaging the building structure or finish, or not permanently closed
in by the structure or finish of the building."

What's above the ceiling?

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Buck Turgidson" wrote:

"old work" box with a blank plate.

http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/e...2ft/oldworkbox
.htm

It is the second part that is confusing me. How can I make the junction
box
accessible when I just need to lengthen the wire by about a foot in the
ceiling of a finished area? It wouldn't be a big deal to remove the
light
fixture, but "accessible" to me means the box is visible or in some
access
door.

The box is flush with the ceiling.

I've used Carlon boxes before in walls. So you're saying I need to put a
box in the ceiling with a cover? Man, that would be ugly.

Maybe so... but that's what's required.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
I need to lengthen some old wiring in order to make all the wires of a
3-way switch come together in a recessed lighting box that I am installing
in a first floor ceiling (no insulation).

In doing some web research, I see that splices can be done, but they must
be done in a junction box, and must be accessible.

It is the second part that is confusing me. How can I make the junction
box accessible when I just need to lengthen the wire by about a foot in
the ceiling of a finished area? It wouldn't be a big deal to remove the
light fixture, but "accessible" to me means the box is visible or in some
access door.

Thanks.

The junction box of most recessed fixtures is designed for feed through
splices. Although it is essentially buried in the ceiling, it is legal
because it's accessible by simply removing part of the fixture . In you
situation, you may have too many conductors in the box

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 17:46:11 -0400, "Buck Turgidson"
wrote:

"old work" box with a blank plate.
http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/e...oldworkbox.htm

It is the second part that is confusing me. How can I make the junction
box
accessible when I just need to lengthen the wire by about a foot in the
ceiling of a finished area? It wouldn't be a big deal to remove the
light
fixture, but "accessible" to me means the box is visible or in some
access
door.

The box is flush with the ceiling.

I've used Carlon boxes before in walls. So you're saying I need to put a
box in the ceiling with a cover? Man, that would be ugly.

If THAT is ugly, A/C vents are much more so. I find I hardly ever
notice mine.

Would it help to mount a smoke alarm over that box?
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Never underestimate the power of stupid
people in large groups"

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/e...ing/track2ft/o...

It is the second part that is confusing me. How can I make the junction
box
accessible when I just need to lengthen the wire by about a foot in the
ceiling of a finished area? It wouldn't be a big deal to remove the
light
fixture, but "accessible" to me means the box is visible or in some
access
door.

The box is flush with the ceiling.

I've used Carlon boxes before in walls. So you're saying I need to put a
box in the ceiling with a cover?

Yes.

Man, that would be ugly.

Not really. Barely noticeable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 22:52:54 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , "Buck Turgidson" wrote:

"old work" box with a blank plate.

http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/e...2ft/oldworkbox
.htm

It is the second part that is confusing me. How can I make the junction
box
accessible when I just need to lengthen the wire by about a foot in the
ceiling of a finished area? It wouldn't be a big deal to remove the
light
fixture, but "accessible" to me means the box is visible or in some
access
door.

The box is flush with the ceiling.

I've used Carlon boxes before in walls. So you're saying I need to put a
box in the ceiling with a cover? Man, that would be ugly.

Maybe so... but that's what's required.

It's required as it should be. That is, it has a function.

I've seen much worse-looking "decorative items". These have no actual
use, so are not ugly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 17:00:11 -0400, "Buck Turgidson"
wrote:

I need to lengthen some old wiring in order to make all the wires of a 3-way
switch come together in a recessed lighting box that I am installing in a
first floor ceiling (no insulation).

In doing some web research, I see that splices can be done, but they must be
done in a junction box, and must be accessible.

It is the second part that is confusing me. How can I make the junction box
accessible when I just need to lengthen the wire by about a foot in the
ceiling of a finished area? It wouldn't be a big deal to remove the light
fixture, but "accessible" to me means the box is visible or in some access
door.

Thanks.

A regular electrical box with a solid plate cover, secured in place
with a screw is the usual. A plate might look untidy or perhaps
unprofessional by an inspector, and in that case buy a longer Romex
piece or move the fixture.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Where does the other end of this "not long enough" cable go? Is it possible
to fish a new cable and just abandon the old one? It seems this would
probably be the best solution.

steve

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
I need to lengthen some old wiring in order to make all the wires of a
3-way switch come together in a recessed lighting box that I am installing
in a first floor ceiling (no insulation).

In doing some web research, I see that splices can be done, but they must
be done in a junction box, and must be accessible.

It is the second part that is confusing me. How can I make the junction
box accessible when I just need to lengthen the wire by about a foot in
the ceiling of a finished area? It wouldn't be a big deal to remove the
light fixture, but "accessible" to me means the box is visible or in some
access door.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 19:04:49 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

[...]

If you can get to it from the attic that is considered accessible too.