Mike in Mystic

Default tablesaws

I think you'll be thrilled with it, Jack.

As I said before, the only really good reason to get a left-tilt is if you
plan to do a lot of large panel beveling. I honestly don't think this will
describe very many woodworkers, but, as always, I wouldn't be surprised to
find out I'm wrong. But, if you asked yourself the question "which features
are more important to me?", then you should be very happy with your choice.
That's what I did and a right-tilt was the clear choice. I'm extremely
happy I bought it.

Mike

"JackD" wrote in message ...
I hope you are correct as I just placed an order on a right tilt, thinking
that many items in the long list of reasons for a left tilt are either
overstated or are un-important to me.

-Jack

"Mike in Mystic" wrote in message
digy.com...
Well, I suppose if you make a lot of large panels with beveled edges,

then
maybe a left-tilt will be better for you. How many people actually do

this?
Seriously, I'm curious, because I never have and can't really forsee

needing
to either.

What I do a lot of, however, is to use stacked dado blades. Not having

worry about adjusting my measurements due to the addition of a stacked

blade
when referencing the fence scale is of much more utility to me than

being
able to cut the one bevel in 5 years that I might need to cut. I cut

dadoes
or rabbets tens of times on almost every project. And the whole deal

about
access to the motor is valid, but that really isn't an issue either,

since
only get in there maybe 2x per year. The only really good thing about a
left-tilt is that you have more shelf space under the right-side table.

Mike

"Leon" wrote in message
m...

"Mike in Mystic" wrote in message
digy.com...
The way the blade tilts has absolutely NOTHING to do with how safe a

table
saw is. That is a myth that keeps getting spread and it is a very
ridiculous one when you think about it.

To cut bevels on a left-tilt, you leave the fence to the right of

the
blade.
To cut bevels on the right tilt you have to move the fence to the

left
of
the blade. BIG DEAL. If you had the fence on the right of the

blade
on
left-tilt and cut a bevel it would have the same safety issue as a
right-tilt with the fence on the right of the blade. You can still

cut
yourself with either saw.

Stop the misinformation!

Mike

One fallacy with your explanation. If you are cutting bevels on both

sides
of a panel that is larger than the left side rip capacity of your

right
tilt
saw, you end up cutting the bevel with the fence on the right side of

the
saw.

That said, the advantages IMHO of a left tilt far out weigh those of

those
of a right tilt especially when cutting bevels on both sides of a

board
or
panel, narrow or wide. You dont have to worry about the first bevel

cut
sliding under the fence then cutting the second parallel bevel cut on

left
tilt saw if you leave the same side down or up.