Posted to alt.home.repair
Bawana Bawana is offline

Default Splicing Romex

On Apr 5, 5:00 pm, "Buck Turgidson" wrote:
I need to lengthen some old wiring in order to make all the wires of a 3-way
switch come together in a recessed lighting box that I am installing in a
first floor ceiling (no insulation).

In doing some web research, I see that splices can be done, but they must be
done in a junction box, and must be accessible.

"old work" box with a blank plate.
http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/e...oldworkbox.htm

It is the second part that is confusing me. How can I make the junction box
accessible when I just need to lengthen the wire by about a foot in the
ceiling of a finished area? It wouldn't be a big deal to remove the light
fixture, but "accessible" to me means the box is visible or in some access
door.

The box is flush with the ceiling.