Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default low voltage electrical splice?

Robert Barr wrote:

Gypsy Moth wrote:

I have low voltage lighting in my yard. There was a break in a long
run of wiring. I stripped the ends, spliced together (twisted),
covered with vinyl electric tape and everything seemed to be working.
Then the wire burned through at the splice. The ends seemed to be
corroded through . . . covered with green corrosion. This has
happened twice at the same spot. Any suggestions as to why this is
happening and what to do about it?

Solder. Cheap, lasts forever.

You'll need to strip back to find nice clean copper. Twist together
tightly & solder away.

You can even get out of acquiring any soldering equipment -- just stop
by Radio Shack (maybe elsewhere, but not positive) to buy strip solder.
It's a package of little strips of solder, each the size of a match,
and you wrap your connection with a few of these and apply heat.

Hmmm,
How about using a wire nut and fill the nut with Si sealant, then wrap
it tight with tape.